600 g (21 oz) eggplant (aubergine)
3 onions (slice each half-onion thinly, making half-moon shapes)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cm (0.4 inch) piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 ½ teaspoon of turmeric
½ teaspoon of garam masala
1 cup water
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Wash an eggplant and slice into 2.5-cm / 1-inch cubes (best if at least one side has a skin on). Then dry eggplant pieces with paper towels.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan / wok, add eggplant pieces (should form a single layer). Cook on a medium heat until all sides are soft and nicely brown. Place eggplant pieces in a plate and set aside.
- Heat a dash of oil in the same frying pan. Then add onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook on a medium heat until slightly brown. Add spices and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add water and tomato paste and let the sauce cook gently for few minutes.
- Add eggplant pieces to the sauce. Add lemon juice.
- Cook gently for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Don’t miss any new recipe and subscribe today!